Lovely Heart Ornament
This adorable handmade heart can be used to decorate the Christmas tree or just hang a few hearts on a string around the fireplace. To make it you will need: white and red felt fabric, white and red yarn, cotton filling, and three large rhinestones.
Decorating Tools: pencil, scissors, fabric glue, sewing needle.
1. Get a red piece of felt. Print out a template of a large heart and cut it out. The heart is 3.75" by 3.25". Put the template against the fabric and cut out the heart. Cut out two red felt hearts all together by using the template.
2. Get a white piece of felt. Using a small heart template cut out one white heart. The size of this heart is 2.5" by 2". Thread a needle with red yarn and sew around the heart's edge, leaving .25" space between the yarn and the heart's edge. Finish the outline and cut off the hanging end of the yarn.
3. Take one of the red felt hearts. With a pencil or marker sketch three snowflakes on each side of the heart (see picture). The snowflakes are drawn by intersecting three lines and should be between .25" and .5" in diameter. Thread a needle with white yarn and go over the lines you drew. You now have embroidered the white snowflakes.
4. Take red embroidered heart and lay it on top of the second red heart. Thread a needle with white yarn and start sewing the edges of two hearts closed. Start sewing on the bottom of the hearts. Stop sewing when you have about 2.5" left to go. Take cotton filling and stuff the heart. Do not overstuff. It should look like a nice flat pillow. You can use facial cotton wipes for the stuffing. Just break them in small pieces and even the cotton out inside the ornament. Sew closed the rest of the heart and cut the yarn thread off.
5. Now you have two hearts: the red stuffed one and white one. Center the white heart on top of the red heart and glue it down using fabric glue. Let the glue dry.
6. Flip the ornament over. Thread a needle with red yarn 8" long. Pull the yarn through .25" of fabric in the top center of the heart. Take the needle out of the yarn and make a knot to tie both yarn ends together.
7. Get three silver or gold rhinestones between .25" and .5" in diameter. Glue the rhinestones in the center of white heart using craft glue. Let the glue dry before hanging the ornament.